Thursday 20 July 2023

In Memoriam

 



I just wanted to mention the passing this year of a couple of people I met when I spent more time in London hanging out with writers and publishers in pubs (those days are long gone now it seems). I was very sad to read of their deaths. 

Christopher Fowler was a successful novelist (detectives Bryant & May were his most famous creation) and short story writer who kindly wrote the preface to the second edition of my Subterranean City and reviewed Decadent London favourably in the Independent on Sunday. He was always supportive and a really lovely man who will be much missed. He was especially brave writing about his terminal cancer on his blog, where he was always interacting with his readers. See here and here.

Alastair Brotchie I met on a few occasions and spoke to on the phone when he had a query about a location in 1890s London. The founder of Atlas Press, he was an indefatigable writer and publisher, expert on pataphysics and Surrealism and biographer of Alfred Jarry. One of those rare people who make things happen. Obituary here by Peter Blegvad.

No comments: