Monday 6 June 2016

The Next Events


To make a change from secret tunnels the next event is a walk on Hogarth's London, one of my very occasional artist walks.  It will leave from Westminster Reference Library at 6.30 on Friday 15 July.  Details here.  Places will be limited and it will end at the lovely Lamb pub in Lamb's Conduit Street.  More information to follow.

I recently acquired a framed print from photographer Bob Mazzer (see above) who, I was surprised to find, lives in St Leonards. He is most well known for chronicling the passengers on the London tube for the last thirty years or so, a remarkable and revealing record that shows many of the social changes in the capital (and the years when it was permissible to smoke and drink on underground trains).  All the fashion trends can be seen: skinheads, punks, New Romantics etc. and there are reminders of how menacing travelling on public transport could be, especially in the 1970s, as I recall.  I'm hoping that we will be doing an event together in London at some point in the next three months.  More on Bob Mazzer's work can be found here and here and here.

I wrote something about The Yellow Book for Westminster Reference Library's Book of the Month here.

I've just found out that The Nightingales are playing at The Carlisle pub in Hastings this Sunday 12th June.  I've never been a fan, but I often heard them on Peel and the bill looks interesting - may go.

I shall also be going to two concerts at the De La Warr Pavilion: Television on 14th June and Eleanor 
Friedberger on 1st September.

Announcement last week of the discovery of the earliest dated document from Roman Britain on the vast Bloomberg redevelopment site in the City of London which encompasses the vanished river Walbrook and the Temple of Mithras.  Appropriately enough it concerns a financial arrangement.  See here and here.



No comments: