Monday 16 January 2017

2017 Events



If I manage to keep my job I'm hoping to organise some talks and walks for the spring and summer.  More news will appear here.

Upcoming concerts:

Sunday 22 January   David Torn - Son of Goldfinger, with Tim Berne and Ches Smith.  Guitarist who's played with David Bowie, been meaning to check him out for years, but he doesn't play in this country very often.  At the Vortex.  I did manage to get there - online review here.

Friday 27  Jaga Jazzist  Roundhouse.  What We Must is a stupendous record and I saw them at the Astoria in London around that time - haven't really been keeping up, but the latest record sounds great.

Tuesday 28 February  Hastings Fat Tuesday.  I really enjoyed last year's bash when The Membranes were the main attraction, but there's plenty of opportunities to check out local talent (sets only last 20 minutes).   The refurbished Albion is one of the best venues.  Details here.

Tuesday 7 March  Oxley/Meier Guitar Duo  Jazz Hastings Club.  Nicholas Meier is in Jeff Beck's band.

This looks interesting.

I was shocked and upset to hear of the death of Mark Fisher last Friday - he had a lot of important things to say about the present human condition.  I met him on a couple of occasions and he was a lovely stimulatingly philosophical man.  There have been a number of pieces about him in the links column opposite in the last couple of days - for example here here and here.

No comments: